Back To Blog

Vermont Implements Universal Recycling

Shawn Wright Photo

The State of Vermont has passed a new law that will move the state's residents and businesses in phases toward universal recycling by the year 2020. Currently the state estimates that it recycles 36 percent of all the waste it produces. Of the remaining 64 percent that goes into our landfills (which are nearing capacity) the state estimates half is still recyclable. House Bill 485, which was signed into law by Governor Peter Shumlin this summer,  bans batteries from Vermont's landfills immediately and phases in the mandatory recycling as follows:

By July 1, 2015 all recyclable materials including plastic and glass containers, cardboard and paper.

By July 1, 2016 all yard waste including leaves and garden waste, etc. which are compostable materials.

By July 1, 2020 all organic materials including kitchen waste which are also compostable materials.

According to the Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation Vermonters are throwing away up to $7.6 million worth of waste that could be recycled or composted.

The state has two landfills, one in Moretown which is nearing capacity and one in Coventry which has approximately 20 years of space left.

Items previously banned for Vermont's landfills include lead-acid batteries, waste oils, tires, paint, nickel-cadmium batteries, mercury added products, electronic items and e-waste.

Once again, Vermont is leading the way into the 21st century with evolved thought and responsible pro-activity!

 

 

Add Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be patient if your comment does not appear immediately. Thank you.

Comments

  1. No comments. Be the first to comment.